In our opinion, internal marketing is almost as important as external marketing. It may be a cliché, but your staff are your business; they are a big part of your brand. It is therefore important that each employee understands the firm’s direction and vision and really believes and lives the brand. A romantic statement, but if they are not passionate about your brand it will show in their work.
It is perhaps self-explanatory, however, internal marketing is about treating your staff as your customers, communicating clearly and selling the firm’s vision to them. You can take it as far as you want, but at the very least, the firm’s strategic objectives and team strategies must be communicated and visible within the firm; this gives everyone direction – and something to be part of.
Internal marketing offers the following benefits:
- It ensures that staff buy into what the firm wants to achieve and are more effective at what they do.
- Informed staff are usually “engaged” staff – there is a purpose to work.
- Happy staff equals happy customers.
- Internal marketing helps firms deliver better customer service.
- Employees feel more motivated and experience higher job satisfaction.
- They are empowered to make decisions within certain guidelines and begin to feel more respected and valued for their contributions.
- This feeling leads to a greater sense of belonging to the “team” as well as being more responsible and accountable to employers.
- Staff conflict wanes and they have better dispositions at work.
- Firms benefit from higher employee satisfaction and retention.
- Increased compliance with standards and protocols.
Now, who wouldn’t want to work for a firm with a culture like this? And, what does it really require? Openness, flexibility and a desire to do things better for better results. It is a mindset.